Welcome to my blog. Preparing for the last Cardboard Hurrah

Saturday, October 20, 2012

What's your cardboard dream?

The cartoon above was me when I was a kid. I loved going to the card shop!  I dreamed back then that someday I would have my own shop and be surrounded by cards.  So many things have changed since the days of 1986 topps and such.  The prospect of running a card shop nowadays doesn't seem very fiscally sound but it's still a dream that I may make a run at some day.  I often think when I visit my LCS what would I do different.  What would I carry that he doesn't? Is this a good location? How would I promote my shop?

Just musing this morning and wondering if anyone else has the same aspiration or did at one time?  Or is your cardboard dream instead to own a specific magical card? A white whale? 

2 comments:

  1. I want to produce my own set. Designed by me, photos by me, etc. I think that'd be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having worked at a couple of comic shops, the thought of owning my own store had crossed my mind. But what always stopped it short was the thought that I would actually have to learn about all the other products I had no interest in as a collector and be able to talk to customers about them. I had no desire to watch a single episode of Ranma 1/2 or work out the game mechanics of Pokemon or YuGiOh. Yes, when it came down to brass tacks, I'm just way too selfish to put that much effort into running a successful store.

    ReplyDelete